It might still be winter but I’m already thinking of summer!
This cole slaw recipe has no mayonnaise so it tastes lighter but it’s FULL of flavor.
I love to use my food processor for shredding the vegetables in this recipe – I’m done making it in no time. But if you don’t have a food processor or prefer not to use one, you can certainly shred the vegetables by hand or just cut them with a knife.
This slaw can be made a few hours ahead of time. That actually allows the flavors to meld – I prefer making it 12 hours ahead for maximum flavor potential.
But it’s still great if you don’t have time to wait.
There’s a hint of sweetness along with tartness from the vinegar. That along with the crunch from the fresh vegetables will have you loving this recipe in no time.
You’ll notice I like to use a sweetener called Swerve. It’s an all-natural sugar replacement made from erythritol that measures cup-for-cup like regular sugar. Swerve has no calories and their tests show that it does not affect blood glucose or insulin levels. I try not to overdo it with any sweetener but it’s nice to have another option for cooking. Try it and let me know what you think!
You can change up the ingredients in this recipe too, using purple cabbage, red bell pepper, sunflower seeds, or green onion instead. Add more or less sweetener depending on your preference but I think this recipe has a good balance of everything.
This Southern Sunday Slaw is perfect to take to a potluck BBQ or just make some to have a healthy lunch option. Add it to your salad for added color and flavor or just top a big bowlful of it with some leftover chicken or salmon.
Whatever you choose, let me know what you think!
- 1/2 medium green cabbage
- 1/2 medium radicchio
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 2 large carrots, stems removed
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Swerve sugar (or your preferred sweetener)
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, freshly chopped
- Cut the 1/2 cabbage into sections that will fit in your food processor’s feed tube.
- Using the shredding blade, shred the cabbage. Empty cabbage into large bowl.
- Then shred radicchio, red onion, and carrots. Empty those into the same bowl with cabbage and toss together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add vinegar, olive oil, sweetener, Dijon, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix.
- Pour this mixture over the shredded vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.