We love this shepherd’s pie at my house!
It tastes so yummy and this recipe makes a lot so we have leftovers for a few days. It’s perfectly healthy comfort food full of satiating protein, fat, and fiber.
In addition to peas and carrots, feel free to add extra veggies like frozen broccoli florets, too. Just cut any large pieces into smaller ones.
faux-tatoes recipe:see recipe in “Sides”
- Prepared mashed faux-tatoes (see recipe in “Sides”)
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2-3 pounds ground meat (eg. grass-fed beef, turkey, chicken, sausage, etc.)
- 1 bag frozen peas and cubed carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare mashed cauliflower using provided recipe under “Sides.” Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Spray large skillet with cooking spray and sauté onion and celery over medium heat until translucent. Once onion and celery are cooked, add ground meat and brown. Add peas and carrots, garlic, tomato paste, rosemary, and a dash of cinnamon. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer meat/peas/carrots mixture to prepared baking dish and smooth to cover bottom surface of baking dish. Next, layer prepared mashed cauliflower on top of meat/veggie mixture. Use a spatula to spread the cauliflower out evenly.
- Lightly scrape top of mashed cauliflower with a fork to create a rustic look. Lightly dust paprika over mashed cauliflower. Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.